Dell XPS 15z: Laptop Review

When I reviewed the Dell Vostro earlier, I thought it was already a well-tuned machine - except the speakers wasn't that great.

Then Dell passed me the XPS 15z for review, and I was more impressed. It's got most of the advantages of the Vostro plus some more.


For a start, the product packaging departs from the warehouse-brown box look. Upon opening the box, you will find another laminated storage box. The items in the inner box - laptop, charger, install discs, manuals - are neatly compartmentalised.


In the previous XPS models, the interior looks no different from the regular Dell models, but with 15z, Dell radically redesigned the interior.

The 15z impresses me with the following:

What I don't quite like about this product:



The designers of Dell XPS 15z has indeed put in some commendable effort to make this product look stylishly modern. I also like the overall build, screen quality and OS response, thanks to above-average processor and hard disk specs.

In pursuit of minimalist design, the XPS 15z comes with less connectivity ports than the Vostro and Inspiron: 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 USB/eSATA combo port, 1 HDMI 1.4, 1 mini Display Port, 1 multi-card slot.

At a premium price over the other Dell consumer or business models, the XPS 15z gives a sturdier build, larger 15.6" full-HD 1920x1080 resolution, 8-cell battery, larger touchpad, and better-sounding speakers. So if you fancy the design, I'd say it's a great model to get.

Labels: , ,