Never Believe in Instant Results

Last night I visited my regular camera store, M S Color, to enquire about backpack camera bags. Florence was there and she wasted no time to sell me the latest dye sublimation photo printing machine from Sony. Dye subliation prints, unlike inkjet prints, are more durable, water-resistant, and closer quality to the lab prints.

Florence first introduced me the DPP-FP60 at $199, and then upsold me the DPP-FP70, which at $50 more, includes CF card slot, additional print features like passport photo and prints 18 seconds faster at 45 sec. I have been thinking about getting one for a while and I thought this is a good time to get one so that I can churn out photos instantly from home. While I procastinated, my wife came to the store after she got our takeaway dinner. Florence saw her big tummy and further encouraged us to get one.

And so I did. The Sony DPP-FP70.

It took me a while to get acquainted with the print characteristics. In other words, the default print results tend to be underexposed and slight yellow colour cast. But after 20 prints, I managed to produce some acceptable prints.

The beauty of this printer is that you do not need to connect to a PC to achieve the following:

- edit image like cropping, rotating, brightness, tint, saturation, sharpness, filter effects, red-eye reduction. And you can save the edited results

- 'Creative Print' feature lets you print in layouts, calendar designs, IC photo, superimpose images/text. And once you are done, you can also save the edited results

That is exactly what I had in mind when I bought this, instead of the more popular and affordable Canon Selphy.
The idea of paying more for a fun printer is that SHE can do the prints herself, not me. If I were to buy those cheap Selphy, there is no way that she would want to print the photos herself and she would probably be asking ME to get them printed, which means I would have to spend time selecting, editing, printing via my PC. And if you ask me, I would rather go to the photo labs to produce accurate colour reproduction and professional quality at the same price. But then I would not get the convenience and the ability to get an acceptable print in 45 seconds.

All in all, I think the DPP-FP70 will provide many hours of printing fun (and costs) to our family.

Labels: